Friday, November 5, 2010

Gehu Ki Kheer


BISMILLAH HIR RAHMAN NIR RAHEEM



This is an inherited recipe. My mom inherited it from my granny and me from my mom. There is a belief that the ingredients wheat, jaggery and coconut are termed as prosperity ingredients, hence many new brides prepare this kheer at their in-laws place.. the first time they have to cook in their kitchen. My mom too made it. This is the first time I am participating in an event so I couldn't think of anything better than this. It is very simple as well as nutritious. This is my entry to Celebrate Sweets - Kheer, hosted by Taste Of Pearl City also linking Nivedita's announcement page.


RECIPE:

Ingredients:
Wheat = 1/2 cup
Water = 2 cups
Coconut milk = 2 cups
Jaggery = 1/2 cup
Kachhi Saunf = 1 tblspn
Almond cashew pwdr = 2 tblspn
Elaichi pwdr = a pinch
Salt = a pinch

Method:
1. Wash and soak wheat overnight. Boil it in 2 cups of water till tender.

2. While grinding coconut to remove coconut milk, grind kacchi saunf alongwith it. It gives out a distinct flavour.

3. Later mix boiled wheat, coconut milk, jaggery, salt, elaichi powder, almond cashew powder and cook on low flame.

4. Keep stirring it once a while so that it does not stick to the bottom.

5. Cook till it becomes thick of a kheer like consistency.

6. Cool and serve.

Note:
Below is the wheat soaked overnight.

1 comment:

  1. Delicious and healthy kheer. Thank you so much for sending it to the event. Glad to follow you for your yummy recipes :)

    ReplyDelete