Monday, August 31, 2009

Medu Vada............For Iftaar


BISMILLAH HIR RAHMAN NIR RAHEEM



My brother loves this Medu Vada very much. He was not a big fan of this popular snack, until an Anna ( Elder brother's are called Anna in southern part of India) arrived to sell infront of their college. Our mom never allowed us to eat anything from outside. She always used to make anything and everything at home, whatever we demanded. It was her belief that eating out makes the kid lose his taste for homemade food, besides making him sick.

I try to follow my mom's belief and thats why try to prepare any and every dish to please my siblings platter. This is the reason I made these medu vadas, but instead of getting appreciation my brother told me that his anna makes much better. Ahhh... then I know how hygenically that anna makes the vadas,,, and our argument continues............... :-)

RECIPE:

Ingredients:
Urad dal = 1 cup
Onion = 1 small  (optional)
Coconut pieces = 1/4 cup (optional)
Green chillies = 3
Curry leaves = 5 to 6
Ginger garlic paste = 2 tsp
Coriander = 1/2 a bunch
Black pepper = 2 tsp
Salt to taste
Oil for frying

Method:
1. Soak urad dal for 4-5 hrs.

2. Drain all the water and grind to a fine paste without adding any water.

3. Transfer the paste in a bowl . Add finely chopped onion, coconut pieces, finely chopped green chillies, chopped curry leaves, ginger-garlic paste, chopped coriander, black pepper, and salt. Mix well.

4. Put the batter in the medu wada maker and fry them in hot oil.

5. Serve hot with chutney.

1 comment:

  1. Mmmm...looking good! Yummy! I think I'll make medu vada for iftar today.

    ReplyDelete