Monday, November 15, 2010

Veg Kolhapuri



BISMILLAH HIR RAHMAN NIR RAHEEM




There was nothing at home that I could cook today. And I wanted something vegetarian. Only preparing any sabzi won't do with rice, wanted some gravy too.. Just then it clicked me to prepare veg kolhapuri. It is something which I am very fond of. Immediately checked out tarla dalal's and sanjeev kapoor's site. The recipe on tarla dalal's site was short whereas the list was too long on sanjeev kapoor's site. However I opted for sanjeev kapoor only. Turned out too good than what I usually order from sahyadri hotel.. Thank you sanjeev sir...

RECIPE:

Ingredients:
Mixed vegetables = 1 cup, I used the packet one.
Ginger garlic paste =  2 tblspn
Fresh grated coconut = 1/2 cup
Cloves  = 8
Black peppercorns = 8
Poppy seeds (khus khus) = 1 tspn
Coriander seeds = 1 tsp
Whole red chillies = 6
Onions = 2 large
Tomatoes = 2 large
Paneer =1/2 cup (optional)
Red chilli powder = 1 1/2 tsp
Turmeric = 1 tsp
Salt = to taste

Garam Masala
Fennel seeds = 1/2 tsp
Cinnamon = 1 inch stick
Stone flower (dagad phool) = 1
Cumin seeds = 1/2 tsp
Bay leaves = 2
Black cardamoms = 2
Black peppercorns  = 7 - 8


Method:
1. Grind all the ingredients of garam masala  into a fine powder.

2. Heat oil in a pan, add grated coconut, cloves, peppercorns, khus khus, coriander seeds and red chillies. Lightly fry.



3. Now add 2/3 of the chopped onions and cook till it turns slightly brown.




4. The mixture has started to change color. Cool and grind to a paste using sufficient water.




5. Heat remaining oil in another pan. Add remaining chopped onions and saute till brown.




6. Add ginger garlic paste, tomatoes and continue to saute.




7. Add red chilli powder, haldi, grinded masala, grinded paste, 1/2 cup of water and cook. 



8. Continue to cook until oil leaves the side.




9. Add vegetables and salt and let it simmer. 




10. Add paneer pieces and cook it for some more while. 




Serve hot. 

Note:
1. I made certain changes as few things were not available in my kitchen. The recipe demanded dry coconut but that was not available, instead I used freshly grated one. I used mixed vegetables packet as all the veggies were also not there. And hence I didn't have to boil them. Otherwise the recipe needs veggies to be boiled.

No comments:

Post a Comment